Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Welcome to the future - Prog Rock in 2010

If there is any doubt left, Progressive Rock is no longer a dirty word. In fact, Time magazine even named a Progressive album as the third best album of 2009. This trend has slowly been developing over the last decade and I think we've reached a sort of turning point in the last year or so. While not all of you may agree with my crazy ideas on this topic, I really think the internet is a major cause of this revival of music considered foolish, pretentious and antiquated as recently as a decade ago. While there are still big labels churning out big music that sell in big numbers, this is slowly becoming less and less the norm. The money that used to endlessly flow the way of these big companies is starting to dry up.

Welcome to the future my friends! The Prog Rock Blog will continue the work that has been done over the last few months, bringing you all the news, reviews and opinions that others are afraid to pronounce so boldly. I'm going to be putting my money where my mouth is (or more accurately, putting my mouth where I think the money is going to be) and really put all my efforts to not only making this blog great, but also to a series of other initiatives that would have been impossible to do without the world wide web. You think a major newspaper or magazine would publish the kind of stuff I write here? Not in a world before the internet. I can say something totally outlandish like "Tales From Topographic Oceans is one of the greatest album of the 1970s, much better than Led Zeppelin IV" and nobody can stop me. The whole world can read that now that it's posted online. The whole world may think I'm crazy, but at least I'm not censored by an editor to please the will of the magazines advertisers.

So please, join me in embracing this freedom.  Head over to a search engine near you and discover some obscure band that would have been impossible to find in the tightly controlled media landscapes of the 80s and 90s. The future is here my friends, and it is simply wonderful.


Mastodon's Crack The Skye Named #3 Album Of The Year
Time magazine has ranked Mastodon's Crack the Skye as the third best album of 2009.


No comments: